CHEM 1100 Dr. Stone Summer 2015 20 points Name__
Show your work. Give your answers in scientific notation, with the correct number of significant figures and the correct units. Each question is worth 4 points. You have 15 min to complete this quiz. You may not use your cell phone as a calculator. Put a box around your final answer.
1. What is the mass of a piece of aluminum foil that is 0.350 mm by 7.13 cm by 8.25 cm? The density of aluminum is 2.706 g/mL.
2. Aspirin has a density of 1.40 g/cm3. What is the mass of an aspirin tablet that has a volume of 1.82 x 10-1 mL?
3. A rectangular room is 11 feet by 13 feet. How many square meters of carpet will completely cover this floor? (There are 2.54 cm in an inch.)
4. A gas at 25 °C exactly fills a container previously determined to have a volume of 1.05 x 103 cm3. The container plus gas are weighed and found to have a mass of 837.6 g. The container, when emptied of all gas, has a mass of 836.2 g. What is the density of the gas at 25 °C (hint: 1 cm3 = 1 mL)?
5. Write a brief summary of why you are taking General Chemistry I this summer.